Although marijuana has been researched for medical use, not nearly enough research has been undertaken, because the marijuana plant is considered a dangerous drug with no medical benefits at all. Until this is changed, more research cannot be done into the medical benefits of the plant.
So far, studies have shown that marijuana has the ability to:
- Stop cancer from spreading by turning off a gene called Id-1. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest that people have been cured from terminal cancers through ingesting cannabis oil.
- Not only does cannabis appear to stop cancer but those who are going through chemotherapy report that it gives them relief from pain, nausea and loss of appetite. Even the FDA has approved cannabinoid drugs that use THC for these reasons.
- It can help you lose weight, surprisingly. Despite getting the “munchies”, users are known to be slimmer than non-users, on average. Cannabis helps the body regulate insulin production and manage calories more efficiently.
- Marijuana can ease depression, according to science researchers who have been studying chronic stress and depression at Buffalo University. Their findings so far indicate that components of marijuana may be useful in reducing depression that results from chronic stress.
- It shows promise in treating autistic children, managing symptoms and helping to control violent mood swings.
- An exciting new find shows that CBD can strengthen fractured bones. This process occurs as cannabidiol enhances the maturation of collagen the protein in connective tissue that holds the body together.
- Glaucoma can be treated with cannabis. According to the National Eye Institute, studies show that marijuana can lower intraocular pressure in people with glaucoma. These effects may slow the progression of the disease.
- Contrary to the sterotypical image of a stoned cannabis user being unable to function, cannabis has been shown to actually increase creativity and come up with a greater range of concepts and ideas. While this is not a health benefit, it does illustrate the potential cannabis has in a wide range of applications.
These benefits are just the beginning when it comes to the multiple uses of cannabis. With legalization, there is hope that cannabis will be able to be researched properly and provide hope for patients suffering with a wide range of health problems.